Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Games » Band of Bugs

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:35 pm 
NinjaBee

NinjaBee is hosting a new contest for creative level design in Band of Bugs. Submit your original level ideas for a chance to win 4,000 Microsoft Points and a limited edition NinjaBee T-Shirt!

Note: The contest is now over! The results can be found in this post:
http://www.ninjabee.com/forums/viewtopi ... 5748#15748

---

Rules:

1. Design a level using the level editor in Band of Bugs for Xbox Live Arcade
2. In a single post in this thread, post screenshots of your level and a description of why your level is cool. If there's some problem posting to this thread, feel free to e-mail your submission to contest@ninjabee.com and we'll post it for you. Also feel free to post your screenshots and description somewhere else publicly on the web and just link to it from this thread.
3. Screenshots can be screen captures or digital photos of the level displayed on your TV. Post up to 3 shots. If you don't have a convenient way to get a screenshot, consider asking a friend to help, and transfer the level to them.
4. Descriptions can be simple descriptions, a sample walkthrough, or pretty much anything you want to write to convince people that your level design is interesting. Limit the description to 500 words or less, please.
5. Please keep your submissions family-friendly. Offensive level designs or descriptions (as determined by NinjaBee staff) will be disqualified.
7. Levels must be playable over Xbox Live (i.e. don't just show us a shot from the editor of an unfinished level - test your level online with a friend).
8. The deadline for submission is August 16, 2007.
9. The initial submissions will be judged after August 16th by a select panel of posters to the ninjabee.com forums. We'll post a list of these judges in the future.
10. Judging will be based on fun, originality, clever use of units, aesthetic factors, and the subjective whims of the judges.
11. When the candidates are narrowed down to 3, members of the NinjaBee staff will play the levels and pick a winner. The three final candidates will need to be available for sharing their levels over Live with a NinjaBee staff member from August 16th 2007 to August 23rd 2007.
12. The winner will receive 4,000 Microsoft Points and a limited edition yellow NinjaBee T-Shirt. T-shirt substitutions (in case you prefer a black NinjaBee shirt or a Cloning Clyde shirt) are allowed.
13. NinjaBee employees and their immediate families are not eligible.
14. Limit of one entry per person. Entries that don't win may be eligible for future contests.
15. We reserve the right to change and augment these rules as the contest proceeds. Somebody somewhere can find a way to make this difficult, I'm sure... :) Please don't sue us.

Preliminary Forum Judges:
    Sunnycool
    dezombie
    staticwrap
    LunarDuality
    Lifeforce
    AC91

Edit: Edited line about number of entries allowed.
Edit 2007.8.16: List of judges.
Edit 2007.8.17: Closed.
Edit 2007.9.04: Results.

Last edited by stay on Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:53 am, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject: :( :( :( :( :(
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:14 pm 

Shame my Xbox 360 finally broke as this contest began. At least I sent it Microsoft, I just need to wait 4-6 weeks. :evil:

*Cries forever* :(

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:06 pm 
NinjaBee

Dude, that sucks! You were the first person I assumed would be entering!

Well, if all goes well, we'll do it again some time in the future.

Post subject: Re: :( :( :( :( :(
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:10 pm 

Kaeporo wrote:
Shame my Xbox 360 finally broke as this contest began. At least I sent it Microsoft, I just need to wait 4-6 weeks. :evil:

Well, there is hope. Some of us (and your friends) happen to have some of your maps on our consoles. If you would like, you could tell me or your friends certain maps you might want to enter and we could maybe take screenshots of them.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:17 am 

AC91 wrote:
Kaeporo wrote:

Well, there is hope. Some of us (and your friends) happen to have some of your maps on our consoles. If you would like, you could tell me or your friends certain maps you might want to enter and we could maybe take screenshots of them.

That would be a-m-a-z-i-n-g if you could do that, although I wouldn't want you too if you it means losing the contest yourself.

Sadly, I made the...King of all Maps, soon after Red Kingdom came out. It had a rocky enviroment and featured a snowy battleground that was FF Tactics worthy. Better, I would say. :?

If you chose to enter me in the contest, I have a map named Glass Spring (?) that's my second favorite map. Simply because it feels like an urban city made of ice, and it requires more strategy than Gears of War. (Bad Example) :D

Post Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:32 am 

Kaeporo wrote:
AC91 wrote:
Kaeporo wrote:

That would be a-m-a-z-i-n-g if you could do that, although I wouldn't want you too if you it means losing the contest yourself.

Sadly, I made the...King of all Maps, soon after Red Kingdom came out. It had a rocky enviroment and featured a snowy battleground that was FF Tactics worthy. Better, I would say. :?

If you chose to enter me in the contest, I have a map named Glass Spring (?) that's my second favorite map. Simply because it feels like an urban city made of ice, and it requires more strategy than Gears of War. (Bad Example) :D

I am pretty sure I have that one. It did look pretty cool. I will try to get images of it, but I am also judging the contest. Might want to see if this is all ok with stay before I get the screens. Don't want to ruin my chances of judging or your chances of winning.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:19 am 

Hello NinjaBee Community,
Long time fan of all the NinjaBee XBLA games, first time poster. Possibly first forum based entry. My entry is called Bug Gulch... wonder what it is modeled after. It is a mostly symmetrical map designed for 1v1 and while it can be easily modified to play capture (add a flag in the highlighted nook around the spawn) the version I am entering is straight up sla--um... elimination.

The first image is the spawn of one side, the other side being a close mirror of it.
Also, note the high ground behind the spawn is reachable from the sides.

The second shot is an action shot around the "rocky cave cliffs" as the archer is attempting to weaken red team's domination of the centeral hill
Note in the background, the high ground on the other side as well, as a balance for less general area they have an easier path to their high ground

The final shot is from the other side as another archer takes aim from the bluffs.
Also note the high ground in the back from another angle.

There is also a five minute video of a bit of the map being played if you wish to see more detail and angles here: http://cid-b291e4abc9ab6991.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Band%20of%20Bugs/BandofBugs_BugGulch.wmv

I kinda made the map around the idea of a certain purple AI "Not the most original idea, but at least we know it will work." I've played it with my friends many times and it has gone through multiple iterations to be a fair and fun map with several zones of control and down-but-not-out areas to retreat to.

Shame there is only one entry per person, because my less balanced high ground knock off is a hoot too.

Thanks to all for reading

edit: specified language on picture two, added recomended number of players

Last edited by SpartanWalrus36 on Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:59 am 

Are the judges allowed to make comments before the final judgement or what?

For now I will keep my mouth shut...

Post Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:03 pm 

AC91 wrote:
Kaeporo wrote:
AC91 wrote:
Kaeporo wrote:

I am pretty sure I have that one. It did look pretty cool. I will try to get images of it, but I am also judging the contest. Might want to see if this is all ok with stay before I get the screens. Don't want to ruin my chances of judging or your chances of winning.

Alright. If Stay says that you can't judge as well as display my map, then could I be a judge? I don't need my Xbox 360 for that do I?

Post Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:18 pm 
NinjaBee

Kaeporo wrote:
AC91 wrote:
Might want to see if this is all ok with stay before I get the screens. Don't want to ruin my chances of judging or your chances of winning.

Alright. If Stay says that you can't judge as well as display my map, then could I be a judge? I don't need my Xbox 360 for that do I?

In this case I'm OK with it. I'll just consider it a submission from Kaeporo. We'll have to let Kaeporo write the description, though, not AC. But if AC gets the pictures, that's fine.

Also, it would probably be best for the judges not to comment on submissions until next week after the judging is done. You might want to jot down notes about your first impressions of a level.

Thanks for the submission, SpartanWalrus36! We'll try to do more map contests, and you'll have a chance to submit your other map then. I just wanted to make sure the judges weren't flooded with submissions. Though, it looks like there's no danger of that so far... :)

Post Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:37 pm 

stay wrote:
Kaeporo wrote:
AC91 wrote:
Might want to see if this is all ok with stay before I get the screens. Don't want to ruin my chances of judging or your chances of winning.

In this case I'm OK with it. I'll just consider it a submission from Kaeporo. We'll have to let Kaeporo write the description, though, not AC. But if AC gets the pictures, that's fine.

Also, it would probably be best for the judges not to comment on submissions until next week after the judging is done. You might want to jot down notes about your first impressions of a level.

Thanks for the submission, SpartanWalrus36! We'll try to do more map contests, and you'll have a chance to submit your other map then. I just wanted to make sure the judges weren't flooded with submissions. Though, it looks like there's no danger of that so far... :)

Alright. I can write the description for it. AC91, I presume you have a photobucket account?

Could you upload pictures of my map that show the starting location. General overview of the map and the "streets" of the map. Other than that, I can write the map description based on my many playthroughs of the map. Just post the link to your image host or send it to me via email and i'll compose the overview.

Thank you for taking your time to do this.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:19 pm 

Give us maps (or this contest will be over very quickly)!!! :lol:

Post Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:11 pm 

stay wrote:

Sure then!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:04 pm 

LunarDuality wrote:
Give us maps (or this contest will be over very quickly)!!! :lol:

I am but I'm just deciding what one I should use :(

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:37 pm 

Can anyone who has saved my map, please upload some pictures of it to photobucker or another image hosting service? :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Board index » Games » Band of Bugs