Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Games » Band of Bugs

Post subject: Platinum in "Finale"
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:35 pm 

I had some troubles with this mission, but as I finally accomplished it (on the 3rd try), I won it with Platinum rating.

I don't wanna show off, as I am probably a lousy commander compared to you guys, but it was still a nice feeling, because I truly felt that I won thanks to tactics and not luck.

I must say that placing the bugs out of the enemy's reach and using the Inferno in the start of the mission can have davastating effect. Thanks to those two things, my Fire Mage destroyed two of the artifacts within the first two rounds, killed a Warrior and a Mage and wounded several other hostile bugs.

The rest of the mission was not too hard, although I made a slight mistake which costed the life of Yegg, even though all of my other bugs made it.

Awesome game, NinjaBee (I guess this is directed towards Stay) and I really enjoyed both the single-player missions and the story. It is not super-complex, but I found it appealing and funny and the conclusion is so funny - especially the mentor :P

Thanks for a cool experience, and now I better get going getting gold on some of those other missions :D

Post subject: Re: Platinum in "Finale"
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:40 pm 
NinjaBee

Sunnycool wrote:
my Fire Mage destroyed two of the artifacts within the first two rounds, killed a Warrior and a Mage and wounded several other hostile bugs.

Nice! Getting those two artifacts with spells/ranged attacks is a great way to start the level.

I like how there are tall bits to hide behind on that level, but that you still have to chop your way through enemies to get to the next two artifacts. Again, ranged attacks are nice here. I've only played the level once since the game came out, and I had a hard time not losing a unit or two.

Quote:
Awesome game, NinjaBee (I guess this is directed towards Stay) and I really enjoyed both the single-player missions and the story. It is not super-complex, but I found it appealing and funny and the conclusion is so funny - especially the mentor :P

Thanks so much! I really appreciate the positive feedback, and I know the rest of the team does, too.

Tell your friends! We'd love to get enough sales from this game to be able to afford to do another one. :)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:59 am 

I definately will tell all of my friends about it - it's simply a blast.

But since I never only give positive feedback, I also want you to have some constructive feedback, so I will just write some pros and cons I have about the game. Just a note: the cons are not necessarily all that crucial, but I still want to point out some points that could have been better. Don't think that it matters that much to me though.

Pros:
  • Funny story with distinct and unique flavour, some interesting background story that gets revealed slowly.
  • Nice combat with a clear feel that tactics and especially placements of units is cruicial to victory.
  • Lovely graphics with a very "buggy" feel without feeling too childish. They are simply appealing and gladly (for me) not manga-ish.
  • Good sound. At first I thought the soundtrack would annoy me as it has done in e.g. Catan, but the sountrack is both fitting and catchy - believe it or not - I have been humming it a lot after playing.
  • Nice variety to missions and their objectives - very cool system with the 4 different medals and SinglePlayer leaderboards. Pushes you to try harder.
  • Brilliant multiplayer action with different gametypes (in contrast to e.g. Worms).
  • Spider Hunt is a blast, because it is a jump-in gametype and requires some interesting strategy where you have to cooperate with the other bugs, but also compete at the same time. It is very fun and unique.
  • Inclusion of local multiplayer - it is cool to be able to play with friends on the couch and too many games are missing that nowadays.
  • Map Editor. This is what gives the game insane longevity in my opinion. I have made so many maps and it is so easy and so fun to use. Sometimes I just fiddle with it without making actual maps, but more making some diorama. It is excellent that you can playtest them against the AI as well.

Cons:
  • A few more unit types. I am satisfied with the large and different amounts of unit types, but a few more would be awesome. E.g. Ninja Bees for Multiplayer or some sort of hardhitting cavalry, which is only strong when it is on the offence, while it's flanks and rear are especially weak. Or maybe some significance of Standard Bearers in multiplayer. But the current line-up is fine imo.
  • Bigger and buggier. I am talking multiplayer levels here. I would have enjoyed some slightly bigger maps including bigger margin for the map editor and more units, doodads and items on the map at once. It's cool as it is, but some large scale Helm's Bug or The Blug Gate would be cool :D.
  • Points match. While I think it is awesome that the map maker can decide the armies, I also think some sort of point match system would be cool, where each unit costs a different amount of points and then you have a given amount of points to purchase for. This way the players can play with their favourite tactics/units on any map and refine them. It would also mean that you fight against different armies every time. I just think it would be cool.

Awesome, awesome game though. You guys have done a great job making it and it is definately one of my best Xbox 360 purchases and one of my games with which I disagree completely with my favourite review boards. This game deserves a definte 8+/10 and my personal score is a 9/10.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:38 am 
NinjaBee

Sunnycool wrote:
I definately will tell all of my friends about it - it's simply a blast.

Thanks! We can definitely use the good word of mouth...

Sunnycool wrote:
[*]Nice variety to missions and their objectives - very cool system with the 4 different medals and SinglePlayer leaderboards. Pushes you to try harder.

Thanks - I like this, as well. I still like playing through the campaign because of the unique objectives...

Sunnycool wrote:
[*]Inclusion of local multiplayer - it is cool to be able to play with friends on the couch and too many games are missing that nowadays.

This feature was important to me. I haven't heard anybody talk about it - I wonder how much it's being used!

Sunnycool wrote:
[*] A few more unit types.

Sure, I agree. It would be cool to have some more units.

Sunnycool wrote:
[*] Bigger and buggier. I am talking multiplayer levels here. I would have enjoyed some slightly bigger maps including bigger margin for the map editor and more units, doodads and items on the map at once.

One thing we discovered while developing maps is that small is often more fun, but naturally that isn't *always* the case, and giving the map designer more power would certainly be a good thing. I wish we could have had fewer restrictions on the complexity of maps - when it came down to the possibility of bad performance ruining gameplay, we chose to restrict user-created maps. This could have been done in a more flexible way, but it was another casualty of limited time and money. :(

Sunnycool wrote:
[*] Points match. While I think it is awesome that the map maker can decide the armies, I also think some sort of point match system would be cool, where each unit costs a different amount of points and then you have a given amount of points to purchase for.

Totally agree. :) This is something Marmosetofdeath had originally hoped to do, but it was another victim of our limited resources. :(

Quote:
This game deserves a definte 8+/10 and my personal score is a 9/10.

Woo!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:37 am 

Yeah - I use Local Multiplayer quite a lot - (my dad and I are old Worms veterans, but he still needs to get used to the system here - btw - we don't play the 360 version of worms - we prefer Worms World Party on the pc.)

And I also understand that there must be some limitations to the map size and complexity and I prefer smooth gameplay (as it is now) and the maps are generally good. You know - skirmish sized. But I have alos made a map, called Land Pass - which is a pretty huge battle with two equal-sized armies battling it out at a border (a river) with some hills and everything and it is very fun and I also think it is the limit of size vs. fun. So I am satisfied with the sizes in general ;)

As a final note, I must say that I am hoping a lot for a sequel to Band of Bugs, but looking at the other Arcade titles by Ninja Bee - it looks like you guys are full of unique and fun ideas, so just keep it up. I will tell you one thing - the biggest reason for me buying Band of Bugs (and soon I think I will be buying Cloning Clyde of the same reason) - is the sheer amount of content you guys include in your games. Online multiplayer, local multiplayer, level editor, different gametypes, skirmish vs ai, stand-alone-scenarios, story-driven mission-based campaign, free gamerpics, many included maps. I mean - so much content for 800 points is simply awesome! It is awesome that you don't just do a bit - like say - skirmish, online multiplayer and a few uninspired single-player missions. You put in craploads of content and it makes the value exceed that of any Live Arcade out there - even Symphony of the Night could have used something new.

Keep it up. That's what made me buy BoB - it's huge amount of content, and not only is it broad, it is also deep - so I can just wish you luck with your next game and being part of this community I can only hope to get in the credits for the next one :D :P

Post subject: Re: Platinum in "Finale"
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:23 pm 

Sunnycool wrote:
I had some troubles with this mission, but as I finally accomplished it (on the 3rd try), I won it with Platinum rating.

I don't wanna show off, as I am probably a lousy commander compared to you guys, but it was still a nice feeling, because I truly felt that I won thanks to tactics and not luck.

I must say that placing the bugs out of the enemy's reach and using the Inferno in the start of the mission can have davastating effect. Thanks to those two things, my Fire Mage destroyed two of the artifacts within the first two rounds, killed a Warrior and a Mage and wounded several other hostile bugs.

The rest of the mission was not too hard, although I made a slight mistake which costed the life of Yegg, even though all of my other bugs made it.

Thanks for a cool experience, and now I better get going getting gold on some of those other missions :D

I would like to know how you did this (specifically)---I'd really appreciate it. Darkwaterz29@aol.com

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:32 pm 

Hey sorry man - but this happened really long time ago...all I remember is what I have already posted:

Board index » Games » Band of Bugs