Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Games » Band of Bugs

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:03 pm 

I'm gonna eyeball these entries for a day or two before I decide. I have to rebuild what I glean from the descriptions in my head. Very varied entries.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:22 pm 

Thanks again. I owe you one.

See Stay, he got my back. 8)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:22 am 

I just realized I'll be leaving town on the 21st and will be unavailable for a little while. Hopefully, you guys will make your decisions by then, so I can be able to get my map to you, should you choose mine. Sorry if this further complicates things for you guys.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:27 pm 

Good afternoon to all members of the ninjabee forum community,

I am always interested to see new contests spring up, and was ready and willing to enter, but then I checked out the forum to sign up.

Now what I have to say may be offensive to some, but I feel someone has to say it, and who better than someone viewing from the sidelines.

Like I was saying, I came to the forums to sign up, but it seemed to be composed of a tightnit community of board regulars, and not a whole bunch of fresh faces popping up. I know from past experiences that contests that take place on such forums usually end the same way: A popularity contest.

For instance, take Kaeporo.

Now, I don't want this to appear as a personal attack or anything. I am sure he is a cool guy, and I am sure is map is really could. Possiby the best. And this is kind of the problem.

If you read the first 3 posts of this topic, you will see that the contest administrator acknowledges Kaeporo personally.

Then, we find Kaeporo has no means to enter the contest. However, help comes; in the form of a contest judge nontheless.

Furthermore, he misses the deadline completely, and then requests that some of the official contest rules be bent so he can still compete and then, VIOALA! It is done.

Now, it looks as if he stands the best chance at winning.

Like, I said, I am not trying to attack anyone. I am just observing. But the whole thing leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

I just feel it is a slap in the face for all those that followed the rules exactly and do not have ties with the administrator or judges to compete with those that do.

end rant. :(

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:45 pm 

I can feel the love... :?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:46 pm 

Although I completely understand this statement, I must say that Kaeporo stands as equal a chance as anybody. There is no favoritism, as I am 100% positive that Stay would help out somebody else just like he helped out Kaeporo.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:07 pm 

Extending the entrance date isn't a huge issue as far as i'm concerned. There were hardly any people entered in the contest to begin with.

The same logic could be applied to a situation where two people enter maps, one before the other. Person one would be at a disadvantage because any further submitties could judge his/her map and would be able to compare their next/current map to those already submitted. :?

If someone was afraid that my map(s) would be problematic (As seen by some of my earlier posts in this contest thread and on many other topics in this forum, boasting, etc) then they should have taken it upon themselves to do whatever was possible to improve their maps.

Honestly, this is a level design contest. Not a level displaying contest. I had no help creating my maps just as none of you did and if you were to need help displaying your maps, anyone on this site would be glad to aid you. :)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:54 pm 

That's not the point. Rules are rules, and they mean a lot less when one entrant gets to ignore a few of them.

EDIT: It really sucks that you couldn't get your pictures and description up in time, but just because you've got a story to go along with your tardiness shouldn't mean that it's okay.

Last edited by jclast on Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:27 pm 

To be honest, I was afraid of this as well...

I mean, chances are it will be a judging of the top 2 maps and Kaeporo's, lol.

Edit: Not that your map looks bad, but some of the judges have already played your map, so your images don't really matter... hmmm...
-----
Instead of making a new post, Kaeporo mentioned that people can view your map and edit there own, like I did. Perhaps if this contest is held again, we should submit PMs to the judges instead, so only they can view them.

Edit, for the last time: I didn't mean that I edited my map based on others! I meant that I mentioned what he mentioned earlier

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:49 am 

BSM471 wrote:
To be honest, I was afraid of this as well...

I mean, chances are it will be a judging of the top 2 maps and Kaeporo's, lol.

Edit: Not that your map looks bad, but some of the judges have already played your map, so your images don't really matter... hmmm...
-----
Instead of making a new post, Kaeporo mentioned that people can view your map and edit there own, like I did. Perhaps if this contest is held again, we should submit PMs to the judges instead, so only they can view them.

Edit, for the last time: I didn't mean that I edited my map based on others! I meant that I mentioned what he mentioned earlier

The only person who's played my map before is AC91. I'm particularly intimidated by the desert themed map, because although I can make any map balanced...I can't seem to make that one look visually appealing. I only have one desert themed map in my 18 map collection.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:03 am 

Kaeporo wrote:
The only person who's played my map before is AC91. I'm particularly intimidated by the desert themed map, because although I can make any map balanced...I can't seem to make that one look visually appealing. I only have one desert themed map in my 18 map collection.

You have 18 maps? Isn't that frustrating to scroll through? As soon as I see that I can do something better with my maps, I delete the old ones. I only have about six. None are desert though. With desert, there isn't much more that you can do besides make a wasteland, and I don't have much interest in that. If the grass tiles were composed of something that resembled grass, and not layed down bamboo (does anyone else think that?), I might use it more often.

By the way, I'd rather not talk about the maps, I think it would be best if that were reserved to the judges and we just observed/eavesdropped.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:22 am 

Really? I think the desert tileset is actually quite versatile. It's really only limited by your imagination (and the maximum map size). I'm think of making a sort of desert shrine/pavillion map (a little inspired by LoZ: Twilight Princess). I'm actually planning to get into the gaming industry (it's what I'm working toward in college), so level design is a pretty big hobby of mine.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:28 am 

On my thought of a desert shrine map, one of the things I wish you could do in BoB is make maps taller. Time and time again, I wish I could make a multi-leveled portion of a map, and it's pretty much impossible. I'm getting better at bending the editor to my will.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:17 am 

Orion1189 wrote:
On my thought of a desert shrine map, one of the things I wish you could do in BoB is make maps taller. Time and time again, I wish I could make a multi-leveled portion of a map, and it's pretty much impossible. I'm getting better at bending the editor to my will.

It's another one of the map limitations which irritates me. However, You can work around it by masking a gradual incline which leads to a steep drop off.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:33 am 

Hmmm, well...

Stay could you please post all the relvent information for the judges in some impartial and coherent fashion?

Personally I have not played any of the submitted maps, but that obviously doesn't mean somone else hasn't.

I could vote now, but with the whole late thing and such I would prefer clarification first.

That monkey is going to pay...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next

Board index » Games » Band of Bugs