Question That Counts: Mobile vs Console

NinjaBee wants to know what YOU think about critical topics in the video game industry.

Moderator: ninjabees

Forum rules
Be honest, but be polite. NinjaBee makes a lot of family friendly games, so we like to keep our forums that way as well. Foul language will be moderated. Spammers will be banned.
Captain Jax

Question That Counts: Mobile vs Console

Postby Captain Jax » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:54 pm

Question: If you could play the exact same game on your tablet or your TV, which would you prefer?

There's no doubt that mobile games are huge these days, and rightfully so. The convenience of being able to play games on the go is great. We're curious, though, if you prefer to play games on a mobile platform, such as a tablet or smartphone, or if you prefer them at home on the TV with a controller in hand or on your PC?

Assuming you could only purchase your next favorite game on either console, PC, tablet, or smart phone, which would you choose if the graphics and gameplay were fundamentally the same? Would you forego playing on a TV or monitor for the convenience of playing anywhere?

Feel free to participate in the poll on our blog!
thebeesknees

Re: Question That Counts: Mobile vs Console

Postby thebeesknees » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:27 am

"A Universe of Keflings" on Xbox One is a must!
Captain Jax

Postby Captain Jax » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:09 pm

thebeesknees,

Can I take it that you prefer consoles then? Is there a specific reason?
Wolfie

Postby Wolfie » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:44 pm

Your question as asked is not possible to answer. You can't play the exact same game on a tablet/phone and console. They operate completely different devices with different input and output hardware and thus the games can not be exactly the same. No console has touch and swipe. No tablet has a game controller and certainly no phone either. Nearly everyone with a console has a bigger TV than tablet or phone thus the graphics will be different.

I can voice a preference to console for similar games. For example, I own Minecraft on the 360. I also tried it on my tablet and the interface is different and I don't like it.

If you are posing this for researching whether to develop more on console or on mobile, I would have to say I would prefer console. But, there are far more mobile devices out there than there are consoles so that must also be a factor.

The question I ask you is... why, with anywhere from 60-75% of the market for mobile devices and almost 50% of the tablet market, why is NB NOT developing for the Android market? iOS market share is declining while Android is expanding. Its been a LOOOONG time since I posed that question. And still I see no Android ports of your games.
"Its what you do in a heard, you help each other." - Manny from Ice Age.
"Understanding women isn't about knowing what button to push, its knowing when not to push them" - Me
Captain Jax

Postby Captain Jax » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:15 pm

Wolfie,

Your points are valid, and I appreciate the comment. Although it is true that many games don't translate well between console/PC and portable platforms, there are a few that do and often times the graphics are comparable if not equal. I also think that we'll see more and more of this as graphics capabilities within portable devices improve. It is true, however, that user input will likely never be exactly the same between the mobile platforms and consoles, but there are many games where the input isn't important to the overall gameplay mechanic, so they work well in both situations.

The point of the question was simply to ask which you prefer to play on, and why, not which we should develop for. :D I assure you we are interested in both. Although we haven't done much with the mobile market in the past, we are reaching into with our latest release Nutjitsu. It is currently only on Windows 8, but we are in the process of porting it to iOS and Android, as well as looking into other platforms.

As for developing for Android over iOS, there are good reasons why many game developers go to iOS first, and often not to Android at all. With that said, every game will have different experiences on the two platforms, and there are a few exceptions that have seen greater success on Android than iOS. Android also does some things right that I wish Apple and Microsoft would pick up on, like allowing devs to respond to reviews of their games. Here are some good links for you to check out if you're interested:

An article that breaks down iOS vs Android for games in a simple easy to read manner.
An infographic by Cappy (the game developer) about one of their game's sales over multiple platforms.
Wolfie

Postby Wolfie » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:35 pm

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I will read through the articles this weekend. I am always looking to improve my knowledge and be better informed about the systems I used or desire to own.

I, however, did not mean to infer that yall should develop for Android over iOS, but rather co-develop to satisfy both sides of the market. I feel that developing solely for either OS is a mistake when the market is extremely saturated by both platforms. And yes, I am very aware there are pros and cons to both platforms. The end goal of you game developers is to make money so you can develop more games to make more money. And, if God simles on you, you get to have fun and make great friends while doing it! I don't have problems supporting folks like NB who develop games that are fun as hell, reasonably priced and yall respond to customers (me) in very positive ways. EVERY game developer should look at you as a model of how to do it right. You listening Blizzard, EA, Capcom, Atari?

And, in case you are interested, I took a show of hands here in the cave (our development room), Of the 38 folks here today, there are 11 with iPhones. 26 with Android. 1 Stick in the mud with an old flip phone. Of those present, 19 have tablets in addition to their phones. 15 of the 19 are android (mostly Asus and a few Nexus), leaving only 4 who have iOS tablets. 6 of the iPhone owners had android tablets, the 4 ios tablets were owned by the iPhone owners. Not one of the people who own an Android phone own an iOS tablet.

Of my spouse, sons-in-law, daughter-in=law, their spouses and 7 grandkids, not one has an iOS device of any kind. In fact, the only people I know with iOS devices are those here at work. None of my friends that I know of have any apple mobile devices other than some with various apple iPod mp3 players. I, in fact, own a second gen Shuffle. Was a gift from the oldest granddaughter. Its not been out of the desk drawer in 5 years at least. I find it pointless with my Droid X2 and a 32g uSD card.

So, I am asking yall not to ignore a very large segment of the community who would love to play your games.

Now, to address your preference question. That is a double edged sword. I would prefer the console. I like the input better. I like the graphics and sound better. I like it overall better. But if forced to choose ONE and throw all others away, I would likely lean toward tablet because its mobile, because its compact, because its affordable. But only if I could not have both and use both as appropriate. I see the the two platforms (mobile and console) as filling different roles. I believe most people sitting in their living room would prefer the console, most people on vacation or car pooling would likely prefer mobile devices. Teens and kids would likely prefer their phones/tablets. Older kids and adults I see leaning toward consoles. Those are just my observations and feelings.
"Its what you do in a heard, you help each other." - Manny from Ice Age.
"Understanding women isn't about knowing what button to push, its knowing when not to push them" - Me

Return to “Questions That Count”