Question That Counts: Online Only Consoles

NinjaBee wants to know what YOU think about critical topics in the video game industry.

Moderator: ninjabees

Forum rules
Be honest, but be polite. NinjaBee makes a lot of family friendly games, so we like to keep our forums that way as well. Foul language will be moderated. Spammers will be banned.
Captain Jax

Question That Counts: Online Only Consoles

Postby Captain Jax » Tue May 07, 2013 11:05 pm

Question: How do you feel about a console that is online only?

There sure has been a lot of talk lately about the possibility that the next Xbox system will require an internet connection to be used, at least to some degree. The original rumor said that it would require a constant internet connection to be usable at all, even to play single player games. A new rumor says that isn't exactly true. I'm sure we'll find out the truth on May 21st. In either case, we're curious what YOU think about the concept of an "online only" console.

Feel free to participate in the poll on our blog!
xBelgarionx

Re: Question That Counts: Online Only Consoles

Postby xBelgarionx » Thu May 16, 2013 5:22 pm

When Diablo 3 first came out I was extremely irritated by the fact that it was online only. I could not play offline single player even. It wouldnt be a problem if it wasn't where a split second of lag would kill you (rip hardcore.)

In all honesty though I know that our future is online, we will come to a point where everything is connected at all times. It may be a little early at the moment, but we are quickly coming to that point. I have no problem with consoles being online only, but I think it may be a few years yet before everyone will feel the same way.
Wolfie

Re: Question That Counts: Online Only Consoles

Postby Wolfie » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:59 pm

I concur. I played Diablo III for a while and got tired of the online only. Blizzard indicated that all their games would be that way now.

I gave away all 5 of my Blizzard accounts which included 4 with WOW, one with Starcraft Collectors edition (also online only) and Diablo III collectors edition along with all the games associated with the accounts. I will NOT purchase another Blizzard product. EVER. They have YET to roll out an online game that was playable day one due to server crashes and backlogs.

At this point I am likely NOT to purchase an Xbox One. Microsoft has done away with the Live Family pack which allows me to have myself and 3 of my granddaughters with gold accounts. When they break up the Family Gold, I will not re-up my Live. That means we won't be playing online anymore on the Xbox 360. MS said they would continue to support the 360 but this is one way they are driving some to the xbox One which I have zero interest in 99% of the features. I don't need live TV in my games. I don't need all the social networking cra..crud. I don't need anything but it to play games and load Netflix. Thats it. Its sad that nearly 75% of the E3 show content was about the Xbox One doing things OTHER than playing games. So, a PS4 is looking real good to me right now.

Along the same thread, Adobe has ceased selling Photoshop retial. You must now buy it via their Cloud and pay pay and pay more or it will stop working. I bought CS6 retail. And I can run it forever without paying Adobe any more money. Same for Lightroom. I bought it. I can run it forever. No monthly subscription BS.

If consoles go that way, then I will be out of the console market. Period.
"Its what you do in a heard, you help each other." - Manny from Ice Age.
"Understanding women isn't about knowing what button to push, its knowing when not to push them" - Me

Return to “Questions That Count”